Sunday, March 11, 2012

As of March 11th



So things have been fantastic since i arrived Kazakhstan! I would like to start out by saying thank you to anyone and everyone who has supported me either financially or by prayers. Thank You!

So I have been here two weeks now and have some incredible stories already! This past week i was able to go out into the city and meet with three elderly ladies all near the age of ninety. They were sisters living in a small apartment. I was with a close friend here who speaks English and Russian. So we were able to communicate efficiently. the sisters were informed the day r that we were coming and had prepared a wonderful meal for us. With tradition Kazakh dishes made from scratch. While we ate we talked about different topic and had a great time getting to know each other. Towards the end of our time at the house, one of the ladies took me by the hand and looked at me very seriously and started to speak to me in Russian. The translation i got was that she and her sister were thanking me for honoring them and their household. She proceeded to say that in Kazakh culture it is a rarity to have people come over to sit and have conversation or food with the elderly. The elderly in most cases are very lonely and hardly have visitors and so it was a great blessing to see that people cared enough to spend time with them. The ladies all stood up and bowed at that point; which shows their respect and thankfulness. We in return said what it meant to us to be able to spend time with them and get to know a bit of who they are. As we left i they told us to come back and visit. And i must say that i am quite looking forward to seeing them again!

For me, that time reminded me of the importance of a simple meal and a simple good deed. When you focus on others, not only does it help them in many ways, including finding some joy, but it also will help you in more ways than you could have thought of. There is something incredibly beautiful to find in  the small act of sharing good food and good conversation with those who need it. I have to go again as my time for the internet here is rather limited but again i thank you for all the prayers, finances, and wonderful comments you have left for me. If anyone wants to email me feel free to send it to Carltonyelle@yahoo.com. I would love any and all emails from friends and family.  There will be more stories and updates to come. Also i should be posting some pictures soon! In the realm of prayers just pray for continued stamina and conviction of anything that needs to be taken care of. Thank you and God Bless!
Sincerely,
Carlton Yelle

No comments:

Post a Comment